Sunday, September 9, 2012

Universal Studios Japan (USJ)

Universal Studios Japan, fondly known as USJ, is a theme park mostly based on Hollywood movies. Officially opened in 2001 and located in Osaka, conveniently accessible by JR train.
In Summer 2011, I was fortunate to visit USJ. One important tip though, if you want to fully utilize your visit here, you should avoid visiting during weekends or public holidays. USJ would be very crowded during that time. Lucky for me, I was able to visit USJ on weekday (Thursday). The basic entrance fee for one day pass was 6200 yen.
Based on my friend advice, I started my USJ visit with The Spiderman Ride. In his opinion, it is the best attraction there. I could not agree more. I ended up entering the ride twice.

Next up was 4-D Shrek. You’ll be seated as in cinema, but with 3-D spec and feel that you are a part of the movie (I think the length is about 20 minutes). For example, when Donkey sneezes, you can feel it on your face. When Shrek riding the horse, the seat starts moving as well, simulating the horse ride. Even in Japanese, you could enjoy the show. I believe Norika Fujiwara is Princess Fiona in this movie instead of Cameron Diaz. Actually, there is a 4-D experience in Genting Highlands, not Shrek though. But, it was fun as well…
One of the latest ride in USJ is Space Fantasy, replaced the ET ride previously. Space Fantasy is an indoor roller coaster, very suitable for me, not too frightening.

I had visited Universal Studios Hollywood back in 1998 when I was studying in the US. IMHO, the best ride there was Back to the Future. I ended up entering that ride twice. In USJ, it felt like a deja vu. Once again, here in USJ, after more than 10 years, I ended up entering that ride twice.
Two rides that I missed at Hollywood were Terminator and JAWS due to overcrowded (visited during festive seasons: Christmas and New Year). In USJ, I didn’t miss the chance to try both of them. It was a satisfying moment for me.
Two items that I entered once in both USJ and Hollywood were Backdraft and Jurassic Park. About the same (been there, done that).


I was not interested to enter Waterworld show, since already experienced that in Hollywood; and passed Hollywood Dream, an outdoor rollercoaster, looked scary for me.


There are two rides made specifically for kids; Snoopy Studios and Peppermint Patty’s Stunt Slide.

The last show before get back to hotel was Animation Celebration, on how basic animation is made.
All in all, my USJ visit is one of the most satisfying experiences for me, mostly because of the high utilization of the attractions. 6200 yen well spent…

No comments:

Post a Comment